Thursday, March 27, 2014

What's your treatment plan? My struggle with PCOS

I think the thing that I have learned the most since being diagnosed with PCOS, and really since we have had problems with conceiving, is that every one has an opinion and everyone has something that worked for them. 

 I welcome all information given to me, that's just the person that I am. But it can be overwhelming. I think it is important to take a step back and figure out what is right for you, your family and your health. 

My treatment plan is a little different since I have the side diagnosis'. My health comes first and foremost. So, changing my diet was the #1 most important thing. 

With the insulin resistance, I have gone to a sugar free, carb free, dairy free diet. (Yeah...it sucks). The biggest thing for me has been giving up Mt Dew, as I drank it like a fish, but also, cutting out processed food. My husband and I ate out ALL the time. Not the good eat out either. Like 9pm McDoanlds full meals. (Yuck!). 

I was put on 1500mg of Metformin (highest dosage) and told to change my diet. I made the changes on Sunday and as of Tuesday I have been dropped down to 500 mg! I currently have to get my blood checked weekly, until they are able to get everything stable, then it will go to every 6-8 weeks. 

I was also started on 75 mg of Synthroid for my hypothyroidism, but I was upped to 88mg after my last blood test. I was told my tests from today looked good so it might be that 88 mg is my dosage. 

That takes care of the side diagnosis'. Now, on to the infertility. Here is where I truly think that you have to pick what is best for you. Yes, Nathan and I have been trying for a very long time. I will tell you that most of that time, we had the attitude "if it happens, good, if it doesn't happen, even better". I some how knew that I would have problems with infertility and I was on the depo-shot for 4.5 years. We went off BC right away, knowing it may take us a while. 

At this point in the process, we are not willing to dive in head first. We want to be finically smart about this, and also be 100% prepared for what could come next. At this time we have decided to start with just the clomid. Next cycle, I will be taking 100 mg of clomid and watching for ovulation. We plan to do that for 3 months and then if no luck in those 3 months we will move on to the clomid + trigger shot for 1 month. If no luck, then clomid + trigger shot + IUI for 2 months. At the 6 month mark with no luck we are going to reconvene and figure out our next step. 

Like I said, this is completely your decision. This is just our plan of action. 

Some natural things I am using include daily vitamins. I am taking:

Cinnamon- help regulate blood sugar and lessen sugar cravings

Chrominum picoliate- helps regulate blood sugar and lessens cravings for carbs

Vitamin B Conplex- for the depression and anxiety that can come along with this disease

Omega 3 - help with swelling and pain of the ovaries 

Folic Acid - to prevent miscarriage if I do get pregnant

Iron supplement - I've just always had low iron. 

So there you have it. That is my treat man plan. It will probably evolve over time, but for now, this is my plan of attack! 


No comments:

Post a Comment