Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME!

Well, for everyone reading these, here we go!!!!!!

Today, September 28 2010, I turned 24 years old. Wow! I know to a lot of people that isn't old, but it is kind of a scary feeling.  I feel like I am getting farther and farther away from that "young and free" mentality and closer to the "responsibility only" mentality. I mean i feel like i have always been a responsible person, but I have also had my care-free fun days.

So, today was the day. I woke up, and of course Eric needed a little coaxing to remember that it was my birthday, but hey at 6:30, I wouldn't expect anyone to remember! :)  Went to work out, got in a great workout, got very frustrated with myself for letting myself get this out of shape, and then let myself realize that I need to be pissed off to really want this. And trust me, I was PISSED OFF!! I then called my mother, who usually calls me by 9am on my birthday to sing to me in a hideous voice "happy birthday", as her mother did to her, and as her mother did to her. Well, I had a normal conversation with her and tried to nudge her at the end of the call to remember that it was my birthday. No such luck. We got off the phone and within 10 seconds she called back singing to me, remembering that it was my birthday! I was a little down at this point that the 2 people closest to me at both forgotten my birthday, so I did what any girl does, I called my Grandma! :)  Well of course as soon as I got on the phone she started singing Happy Birthday to me, and at that point, no matter what else happened the rest of the day (like being rear ended on the way to school), my day was complete! My Grandma sang Happy Birthday to me, and my Grandpa told me that these last 24 years with me have been the best of his life. At that moment, I couldn't have been happier.

So, the lesson I learned today?  No matter how old I get, my birthday will always be important to me. It doesn't matter if people remember right away or if they need a little coaxing.: It doesn't matter if I have to get up at 6:30am to go to a hard work out and cry the whole time, or if I get rear ended by some broad on the way to school, or that I have to work an 8 hour shift because I've used up all of my vacation time being with my Grandma. Its the traditions that matter most to me. I understand that this will probably be the last birthday that my Grandma will ever sing to me, but thats OK. I will keep her alive inside as me I will always sing  a little tune to myself on my birthday! :)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone! I did indeed have a GREAT day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment